Save up to 75%
Get a Free Insurance Quote Now!
Car Insurance for a 16 Year Old
Trying to find good, cheap car insurance for a 16 year old is a daunting task. Because of their lack of driving experience, the new driver needs to have plenty of insurance, but because the risk of a claim is so high, insurance premiums for teens will always be much higher than for other age groups. Take heart, there is good affordable car insurance available, and you can even play an active role in keeping the costs lower in the future. Academics and Responsibility Keeping your grades up will earn you a discount on car insurance. For the car insurance company, your high grades are a sign of maturity and responsibility, and that means a lower risk of accident claims. You can also take a driver education course and present the certificate of completion to your insurance agent for a discount that is mandatory and last for up to 5 years in some states. Insurance and Your Car The car you will be driving most of the time is another important factor in insuring a 16 year old. Insurance companies are interested in safety and reducing risks, and there are a lot of opportunities for doing that when choosing a car. Here are some point to keep in mind about the car you drive and your insurance premiums:
- 2-Door cars are more expensive to insure than 4-door sedans
- Airbags reduce accident mortality and get insurance discounts
- Anti-theft devices reduce the risks and your premiums
- A no-frills car is cheaper to insure than one with 26-inch rims
- Drive an old car that is paid for and you can drop collision coverage
- Raise your deductible. Higher deductibles mean lower premiums, but deductibles must be paid before the claim is settled.
- Roadside assistance could be a lifesaver. Older cars break down, but you do not have to be stranded when it happens.
- Remove optional coverage. Comprehensive coverage adds a lot to your premiums, but it may not be necessary with an older car.
- Compare insurance quotes. Prices differ widely from one insurer to another.